Dawson woke us up at 5:00 o'clock in the morning by running and screaming into our room, "I lost my tooth!" Yep, tooth #2 this month, another bottom tooth. Not the best way to wake up, I might add. So I groggily got up to make sure he wasn't bleeding all over the place. We put the tooth on the bathroom counter to deal with in the morning. I reminded him not to put his tongue in the spot where the tooth was so he could grow a golden tooth. He asked, "Mom, do you think the tooth fairy will come tonight still?" Mom, "No buddy, I'm pretty sure the tooth fairy is already off work tonight, but I'm sure he will come tomorrow night." :)
He crawled into bed with us as they usually get up at 6:00am anyway and there was no way he was going back to sleep with all of the excitement. He laid there and giggled and whispered to himself, "I'm going to be the only kid with a golden tooth in my class!" (a few minutes go by) "That's so cool I'm going to get another golden dollar from the tooth fairy!" ( a few more minutes go by) "DANGIT!!! I stuck my tongue in the hole!"....... and mommy giggles....
So the next night Dawson put his tooth in a glass of water and leaves it on the coffee table awaiting the tooth fairy to come and leave the golden dollar.... Disclaimer: OK, so I know this sounds like a weird tradition to most of you out there. I'm sure most of you put your tooth under a pillow and miraculously in the morning you had coins under your pillow. But for the McMullen family, we stuck our lost tooth in a glass of water and put it in the window sill in the kitchen. Not sure where the tradition started, but I must say as the newly appointed tooth fairy--much easier to leave the coins without waking up a sleeping child in the downstairs living room rather than under the pillow. I also don't have to explain that the tooth fairy isn't some creepy guy sneeking into your room at night while you are sleeping....
So of course he zipped downstairs the next morning to see what the tooth fairy had left and voila! a golden dollar had replaced the tooth. Actually, it was a Canadian dollar because the tooth fairy was out of US golden dollar coins. He didn't know the difference and I couldn't get to the bank at 9:00pm to get a US dollar. I'll trade it out later and he'll never know.... Guess it's a good thing I forgot to exchange a few loonies from my last trip to Canada! They look remarkably like the US dollar. :) And hey, the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar right now. He made more than a buck on that tooth! I'll have to check the exchange rate.....
No comments:
Post a Comment