
Well yesterday Paul had cut up a big watermelon and left the butcher knife and cutting board out.......now I was in the kitchen with Dawson and he asked for a bite of watermelon. So I took the knife, cut off a hunk of watermelon and gave it to him to eat. He took it and walked out of the kitchen. I turned back to the stove to stir the macaroni and literally 20 seconds later I hear, "blood, Blood, BLOOD, BLOOD!!!" Dawson was running over to me with blood spurting from his left index finger. We ran to the sink and put his finger under the cold water. There was the butcher knife and cutting board now covered in Dawson's blood! Now being trained in Wilderness First Aid I really don't freak out when it comes to blood. It doesn't bother me one bit--not even my own kids' blood. Paul came running over and began squeezing and prodding at the finger to see how bad it was--much to Dawson's dislike. I think Paul was more freaked out than I was. He kept saying over and over, "We need to take him in, we need to take him in." I went on a mad hunt for gauze (dang first aid kits are never where they are supposed to be!) (oh yeah, we took them on the hike on Sunday)..... so we wrap the finger in a ton of gauze to get the bleeding to stop and see if we need to go in for stitches. It is Dawson's left index finger--and Dawson happens to be left handed. Not the best injury when we are learning penmanship in school! So long story short, we decided with the 'no stitch' option. We put some 'new skin' on it and he's doing fine. We went and bought a new assortment of character bandaids that have seemed to do the trick.
The moral to the story......Daddy took responsibility for leaving the knife out, mommy took responsibility for leaving the knife out, Dawson has promised to ask for help with the knife, and Dylan wants more watermelon.
(p.s. this picture is cuter than the bloody finger picture...) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment