Friday, October 31, 2008

Alexander the Great!

In lieu of a traditional costume Halloween party at school today, each student had to pick one historical figure and do a 1-2 minute presentation on them. Dawson picked Alexander the Great because he liked his name (and someone else had already picked his favorite, George Washington). So we went to the library and checked out a book on Alexander and have been studying him the last few weeks. Miss Darcy allowed them to put their facts on notecards (after all, they are only 6 years old!) however, Dawson could rattle off all of the Alexander facts without them. In the end he chose to use the notecards, which meant he read them off instead of 'presenting' to the class, but not too bad for his first time. Here' a few pictures from the class:
So here are a few historical figures including but not limited to: Theodore Roosevelt, Alexander the Great (second from the left), Cleopatra, Hillary Clinton and a few others...
Here is Alexander the Great and his sister Cleopatra (and very good friend Abby) (Not sure who the hippy kid in tie-dye is.) :)

Here are the Alexander the Great facts Dawson presented to his class (in first person)
1. I am Alexander the Great!
2. I was born in 356BC over 2000 years ago.
3. I was born in Macedonia, which is in Greece.
4. Philip and Olympias were my parents.
5. My sister was named Cleopatra.
6. I became King when I was 20.
7. I created the city of Alexandria.
8. My wife was Roxane.
9. I started many libraries all over the known world.
10. As King, I conquered most of Europe and Asia.
11. I became the richest man in the world.
12. I died on Jun 10th, 323BC in Babylon.


I missed the first part of his presentation with the video, but here is what I did get:


1 comment:

Dannon said...

Very impressive speech Dawson!!!! I learned some things I didn't know from listening to it! Love the costume too! Love you....Aunt Dannon (Harley and Zach listened to the video of your speech too!)